Retreat to Bali ~ March 2020
March 21–31, 2020. 11 days and 10 nights.
Celebrate the most extraordinary Balinese Ritual of the Year!
Join this once-in-a-lifetime adventure into the very heart of Balinese ceremony and ritual — during the time of Nyepi, the Balinese Hindu New Year. Our tour will be co-lead by the founder of Bali Institute, Marcia Jaffe! Discover the joy of honoring your own inner darkness and releasing that which no longer serves you. Be in harmony with ancient ceremonies that wake up your own unique indigenous wisdom. Spend a full 24 hours in total silence throughout the island, giving time for self-reflection, healing and affirmations for a year of blessings.
- Begin most mornings with gentle yoga and meditation with Elizabeth
- Celebrate Nyepi and rich cultural immersion with local Balinese people and witness the once in a lifetime Ogoh Ogoh festival of giant statues parading through the village streets.
- Meet founder of ARMA Museum and hear him talk about the philosophy of Balinese culture and traditions as he guides you on a private tour.
- Take a sunrise boat ride tour above a gorgeously restored coral reef -Speak with a Balinese visionary about the future of Bali in this age of tourism and globalization.
- Witness Melasti – the once-a-year beach ceremony for cleansing the world.
- Enjoy a traditional fire ceremony with a Hindu holy man.
- Join the Prince of Peliatan for a private tour & dinner. Special opportunity to ask the Prince questions about Bali’s traditional culture as well as modern-day challenges.
- Dine with a local Balinese family at their compound.
- Experience a unique temple at night.
- Enjoy delicious Balinese food, incredible scenery, culture and art.
Dig deep into Balinese culture for five days near Ubud, the cultural arts capital and hub of “global transformation.” Spend your nights at a stunning Balinese-owned hotel with full amenities and easy access to Ubud village. Activities will focus on the many ways Balinese prepare and celebrate Nyepi. Witness this extraordinary culture and its honoring of ancient traditions at its best. Watch how local villages finish their artistic (and often humorous) masterpieces of Ogoh Ogoh’s, giant-size representations of internal demons and bad spirits. Participate in the processions and be part of the ceremonies at the nearby ocean, where the prayers are for cleansing their village, their island, and the whole world! You’ll also visit remote temples with private guides, meetings with visionary Balinese, experience healers first-hand, and enjoy a private meeting with one of the Royal Family princes and visit his palace.
Your journey continues to the northwest remote ocean village of Pemuteran where you will spend 3 nights staying right on the beach in a gorgeous villa resort. Considered the “spiritual capital” of Bali, experiences will include visiting one of the most unique temples of Bali for an evening visit and blessing ceremony, dinner at a local Balinese home compound, snorkeling in some of the best areas of Bali including the coral reef restoration area, a spa treatment extraordinaire and dine on fresh organic tropical foods and more. We will attend local ceremonies as available. Optional trip to Menjangun Island for a day of snorkeling and boating.
A final 2 nights of renewal brings you to Sanur, a seaside town in southeest Bali made up of a long stretch of gorgeous beach with calm, shallow waters. Colorful jukung fishing boats rest on the sand and a paved path snakes along the beach for several kilometers. Sanur is home to great restaurants, a wide variety of shops and a relaxed atmosphere. These last days will be spent preparing for your journey home or on to the extension program to Borneo and Flores.
Dates, Pricing and Registration
March 21–31, 2020. 11 days and 10 nights. Cost: $2999. Register and send your $500 deposit by September 1, 2019 and get $150 off for a discounted price of $2850.
Double Occupancy – $2999 / Single Supplement – $750
A nonrefundable deposit of $500 is due upon registration with the balance due January 15, 2020. Please contact Elizabeth to make arrangements for your deposit and register for the retreat.
* If you are not traveling with someone you would like to share a room with, we will pair you with another solo traveler, if no one is available, single room occupancy fee may apply. Each traveler will have their own bed unless you have indicated otherwise.
- 10 nights at beautiful Balinese hotels (double occupancy)
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches, 5 dinners
- All transport including airport shuttle
- Special Balinese performances and ceremonies
- One delicious spa treatment
- Sunrise or sunset traditional fishing boat ride
- Visits with remarkable Balinese visionaries, royal families, academics, indigenous wisdom keepers, women activists and more
- Private session with healer if available
- Sacred temple sites/ceremonies
- Private palace tour and meeting with Balinese royal family
- Custom-designed experiences
- Guided walk through early morning market and rice fields
- Meditation at remote ancient temple site
- Best selection of organic cafes and restaurants
Airfare, tips, laundry, individual excursions, diving, most lunches/dinners, Visa fee, airport tax, baggage handling.